About Job Challenge
Job Challenge is a new program added to what AMYA already provides. Job Challenge is a vocational training program for AMYA graduates beginning with Class 2016-1 through the current class. The program will be operated as a residential program on the AMYA campus. The program will operate in a quasi-military environment. The length of time required to complete Job Challenge will depend entirely on which career path one choses, but none will exceed 22 weeks.
A simple interest survey for Job Challenge is available on the AMYA website for graduates interested in applying. Once interest surveys have been submitted, orientations will be held for each training area to further explain the details of the program. A review panel will be assembled to determine applicant’s acceptance.
Minimum requirements for applying are:
- You must be a graduate of AMYA-Classes 2016-1 ‐ current Class (2019-1)
- Be between 18 and 22 years of age
- Have a valid Alaska Driver’s license
- Have personal medical insurance
- Be physically and medically able to perform the duties associated with the training field selected
- Have a social security card
- Undergo a criminal background check
- Agree to remain tobacco, drug and alcohol free and submit to random drug testing
- Have a high school diploma or GED (or having passed 3 of the 4 qualifying GED tests)
Job Challenge is funded through matched funds between the National Guard Bureau and the State of Alaska. The goal is to provide job skills training that leads to employment certification. AMYA will cover expenses for training and instruction, transportation to training facilities, uniforms, tools, special clothing and protective gear related to your field of study. Applicants will be required to provide items on a packing list similar to what you brought when attending AMYA the first time. Additional details of what you will need will be provided once you are accepted into the program.
Job Challenge will start in the Spring 2019. Training classes start on different dates, therefore admission will vary depending upon the training selected. The areas currently available for training are:
- Certified Nurse’s Assistant (CNA)
- Small Engine Repair
- Building Maintenance and Repair
- Phase I of the following union apprenticeship programs: Carpentry; Laborers; Electrical; Iron Workers/ Welders; Plumbers and Pipe Fitters
Job Challenge will provide travel for participants who reside outside of the Anchorage and Mat Su area. Travel home will be provided by Job Challenge if you complete the program. If you do not complete the program, return travel will not be provided by Job Challenge.