Alaska Air National Guard
Commander and Assistant Adjutant General
Colonel Tracy D. Smith serves as the Commander, Alaska Air National Guard. She is responsible for the recruiting, retention, training, and equipping of over 2,400 Alaskan citizen airmen in two flying wings. She provides strategic airlift, search and rescue, aerial refueling, air defense, and space warning and surveillance capabilities in support of state and federal missions worldwide. Colonel Smith ensures the Alaska Air National Guard maintains a constant watch and commitment to Pacific Air Forces, Air Combat Command, United States Northern Command, United States Transportation Command, Alaska North American Aerospace Defense Command Region, and Air Force Space Command.
Colonel Smith entered the United States Air Force in 1986 as a Medical Service Specialist. She received her commission from the United States Air Force Academy in 1994. After completion of Basic Personnel Officer's School, Colonel Smith served at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, at the United States Air Force Academy, Colorado and at Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska. In 2001, she joined the Air Force Reserves before transitioning to the Air National Guard in 2004. Colonel Smith served on Active Duty, as a Traditional Reservist, as a Traditional Guardsman, and as an Active Guard Reservist in both staff and command positions at the squadron, group, wing, state, and national headquarters level. Prior to her current position, she was the Director for Reserve Component Personnel Programs, Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Integration.
- 1994 Bachelor of Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- 1999 Military Personnel Flight Commander's Course, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
- 1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2003 Exercise Science, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- 2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala, by correspondence
- 2011 Manpower Staff Officer Course, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
- 2011 Planning Programming Budgeting and Execution, Crystal City, Va.
- 2012 Air National Guard Budget Course, Reno, Nev.
- 2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
- 2015 National Defense University, Eisenhower School, Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
- 2016 Air National Guard Commander Development Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
- 2016 Mission Support Group Commander's Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2017 Contemporary Base Issues Course, Boise Idaho.
- 2020 National Security Studies program, George Washington University, Washington D.C.
- 2020 Human Resources Management and Analytics, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- June 1994–February 1996, Chief of Personnel and Training Analysis, 737th Training Group, Lackland AFB, Texas
- February 1996–September 1997, Section Commander, 10th Mission Support Squadron, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
- September 1997–June 1998, Chief, Customer Support, 10th Mission Support Group, U. S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
- June 1998–October 1999, Section Commander, 18th Fighter Squadron, Eielson AFB, Alaska
- October 1999–September 2001, Military Personnel Flight Commander, 354th Mission Support Squadron, Eielson AFB, Alaska
- September 2001–May 2004, Military Personnel Officer, 939th Mission Support Squadron, Portland Air Reserve Base, Ore.
- May 2004–May 2005, Officer in Charge, Customer Support, 168th Mission Support Squadron, Eielson AFB, Alaska
- May 2005–May 2009, Military Personnel Flight Commander, 168th Mission Support Squadron, Eielson AFB, Alaska
- May 2009–May 2010, Chief of Staff, 168th Refueling Wing, Eielson AFB, Alaska
- May 2010–May 2014, Chief, Program Development, Air National Guard Readiness Center, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
- May 2014–June 2015, Student, Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
- June 2015–January 2016, Senior Executive Officer to the Director Air National Guard, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
- February 2016–January 2018, Commander, 113th Mission Support Group, District of Columbia Air National Guard, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
- February 2018—August 2018, Chief of Recruiting and Retention for the Air National Guard, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
- August 2018–January 2021, Director for Reserve Integration, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
- January 2021-present, Commander, Alaska Air National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
MAJOR AWARDS & DECORATIONS:
- Legion of Merit
- Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters
- Army Commendation
- Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
- Second Lieutenant June 1, 1994
- First Lieutenant June 1, 1996
- Captain June 1, 1998
- Major March 25, 2003
- Lieutenant Colonel April 20, 2007
- Colonel July 21, 2015